Oodles of activities scheduled

By Dana Netzel

Activities for the young and old are scheduled throughout the 1989 NIU Parents’ Weekend.

According to registration figures, this year’s Parents’ Weekend turn-out is up drastically, said Michelle Emmett, University Programming and Activities director. The weekend’s events are being coordinated by the Campus Activities Board

The weekend is a time for parents and families to visit the campus and for students to “show it off,” Emmett said.

ising attendance is attributed to students being more comfortable with their collegiate environment, the number of activities, the successful football team and involvement by various academic areas, Emmett said. This is the second consecutive year that activities will be on Friday and Saturday.

Friday’s Open Mike Contest at 8 p.m. will kick off the weekend’s activities in the Holmes Student Center’s Regency Room. NIU students and parents can participate in this talent contest.

Students and parents can compete for prizes during the Parents’ Weekend Candlelight Bowl at 9 p.m. on Friday in the student center’s Huskie Den.

The student center’s Sandburg Auditorium will feature the movie “Cousins” on Friday and “The Good Mother” on Saturday. Movie times are 4 p.m., 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Saturday’s events include open houses, receptions and guided tours. Founders Memorial Library, Foreign Language Learning Center and the Anthropology Museum have tours between 9 a.m. and noon.

“Academic areas are becoming much more involved in Parents’ Weekend,” Emmett said. The College of Engineering and Engineering Technology, the Department of Communication Studies and the Northern Television Center will also sponsor open houses between 9 a.m. and noon.

The student center will have tours and an open house between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Boxed lunches can be ordered from the student center to bring to the tailgate area before the game. About 600 people have already ordered boxed lunches, which include fried chicken, cole slaw, cookie and drink, Emmett said.

Beginning at 12:56 p.m. on Saturday, the Huskie Marching Band will present their pre-game show in the Huskie Stadium. Kick-off for NIU vs. University of Nevada-Las Vegas is at 1:05 p.m.

Residence Halls will serve a dinner for parents from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.

The Chinese Magic Review and Acrobats are finishing off the weekend, and a second show has been added for 5 p.m. because of the overwhelming response to the 8 p.m. show, Emmett said.

The 17-member touring troupe forms human pyramids, balances stacks of chairs on glass bottles and then balances themselves on top.

They will perform at the Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St. Tickets for the 5 p.m. show are still available. Prices for NIU students are $5, parents and guests $12, senior citizens and children ages 6 to 12, $8 and children under 6, $4.