Two students suspected in robbery case

By Bill Schwingel

Warrants were issued Friday for the arrests of two NIU students in connection with a drug-related robbery.

Robert E. Smith, 21, 322 W. Neptune Hall, and Donnell C. Thompson, 1325 W. Lincoln Hwy., Apt. 504B, are wanted in connection with an incident of forcible entry into an NIU student’s residence hall room Oct. 17.

Smith and Thompson allegedly broke into the room of David Bergendorf, 183 Douglas Hall, and fled with cannabis after threatening the room’s occupants. University Police previously arrested NIU students Anthony Rogers, 23, and Alex T. Yates and charged them with strong-armed robbery.

DeKalb County Sheriff’s Police apprehended Smith Friday and released him after he posted $500 bond. Police are searching for Thompson.

If Smith and Thompson are found guilty, they each face a possible three to seven years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000, said DeKalb State’s Attorney Michael Coghlan.

Bergendorf was arrested and charged with the possession of cannabis. “Any person who gets caught selling, possessing or using drugs are subject to expulsions from the university,” said NIU Judicial Office Director Larry Bolles.

Smith is a sophomore guard ineligible to play on NIU’s mens’ basketball team this semester due to academic probation, said NIU Sports Information Director Mike Korcek.

“It disturbs and disappoints me greatly” any time a student is charged with a crime, said NIU Athletic Director Gerald O’Dell. In most cases, the accused individuals are “outstanding citizens and students,” he said.

The NIU athletic department suspended Smith from further participation on the team “until an official outcome” is publicized, O’Dell said.

The athletic department has a “standard policy” concerning most legal or judicial problems, he said. The department does not interfere with the legal system or NIU and community judicial processes, he said.