Huskie bus isn’t a drag as a dragon

By Michelle Landrum

The Student Association again will continue the tradition of decorating a Huskie Bus to appear in the annual Homecoming Parade.

This year’s bus will be titled “Year of the Spirit” and decorated to look like a dragon to fit in with the 1989 Homecoming theme, “The Spirit Comes Alive.”

For last year’s parade, a bus was decorated like a pumpkin for the Halloween theme and a cut-out picture of former NIU President Clyde Wingfield waved from the back window.

The parade was held “just after Wingfield resigned,” SA President Huda Scheidelman said. She added that most people liked the joke and no one complained to the SA about it.

Despite the popularity of last year’s float, “we decided to have an apolitical float this year,” Scheidelman said.

uskie Buses have been part of annual Homecoming parades “off and on” for the past ten years, said SA Mass Transit Adviser Dave Pack.

The Homecoming parade will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday at the corner of North Third Street and Lincoln Highway.

SA members also participated in a midnight volleyball tournament Sept. 30 sponsored by the Campus Activity Board. Teams were composed of six members, three women and three men. Scheidelman, Pack, Minority Relations Adviser Joan Clay, Academic Adviser Willie Fowler, and Recreation Adviser Dave Burke were some of the participants chosen for the SA team.

The SA also might display a banner at the Homecoming football game. The banner will “make people aware the Student Association exists and is here to help students,” Public Relations Adviser Chris Hudders said.

Scheidelman said she would like to see more students and organizations participate in Homecoming events, but at the present time, Greek organizations are the most involved. “It’s too bad, but they’re the most organized,” she said.