Wingfield applies for presidential position

By Diane Buerger

Former NIU President Clyde Wingfield is one of 38 hopefuls for the presidency at the University of Florida at Gainsville.

Wingfield applied for the position on June 20, according to the Independent Florida Alligator, the student newspaper at the University of Florida. The Sept 8. deadline for applications might be extended if the search committee receives an influx of responses.

The Presidential Search Committee is scheduled to meet Sept. 12, but the meeting might be pushed back if the deadline is extended. The committee will hope to have a nominee by Nov. 8.

Wingfield is teaching Political Science 331, the Administrative Process and Political Science/Public Administration 509, Public Personnel Management this fall. After a one-year administrative assignment with the American Association of State Colleges and Universities in Washington, D.C., Wingfield continues to collect the $85,000 annual salary from NIU.

The Board of Regents, NIU‘s governing body, asked Wingfield to resign after The Northern Star reported he had used about $100,000 in state funds for the remodeling of his home.

“I really don’t give interviews to the Northern Star or make comments on that,” Wingfield said Thursday.

Earlier this year, the Star reported that Wingfield had applied but did not receive the position of president at Georgia State University in Atlanta.

Wingfield was the president of State University of New York at Old Westbury before he was named NIU president in 1985.