Fraternity fire under question

The DeKalb Police Department is investigating a possible “non-accidental” fire that occured at a fraternity house early Monday morning.

No injuries were reported at the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity house, 1300 Blackhawk Road, said Lt. Richard Moudy of the DeKalb Police Department. Moudy estimated damage between $50 and $150.

Technically, a fire must cause damage in excess of $300 in order to be classified as arson, said DeKalb Fire Chief Jeff Long. The fire department termed the fire as “non-accidental,” Long said.

A fraternity member said that at about 3:30 a.m., an unidentified group allegedly propped open the back door of the house and lit a fire inside a garbage can.

A malfunctioning smoke alarm system did not alert the residents to the fire, the member said. The group then allegedly ran into the fraternity house, pulled the fire alarms and left after the alarms failed to sound.