NIU administrators, “The Big Six” share their memories of college and favorite pastimes

By Lynn Rogers

You have read about them, seen their pictures on the front pages and may have even met them. But do you know them?

University administrators are always making news, yet few of us realize their lives extend beyond the NIU campus. The following biographies of our “Big Six” can tell you a little more about these administrators, including insight on their own college life.

John LaTourette, President

College Attended: Rutgers University – undergraduate (1954), masters and doctorate. Major: Economics. Very First Job: Shipping clerk in a hat factory. First Job After College: Went into air force as a navigator after graduation. First teaching job was at Rutgers in 1960-61. First Car: 1941 blue Chrysler DeSoto. Most memorable college experience: “I had a professor named Leopold Kohr. He wore a hearing aid and every time they mowed the lawn, he had to cancel class because of the static. He taught economics of small countries–he was from Lichtenstein–and that made the class interesting.” How college students today differ from earlier generations: “There are some differences in that there’s a great deal more to understand and learn. Students today are more like those in the 1950s–career oriented. They are very different from those in the 60s. You could say I’ve come full circle.” Hobbies: Fishing (best catch: a 20 lb. northern pike), collecting antiques, watching good old movies.

Tom Montiegel, Vice President, Development and University Relations

College Attended: Marquette University (1962) Major: Journalism and History. Very First Job: Caddying (age 10) First Job After College: News editor of a small weekly in Burlington, WI First Car: “An old Buick” Most memorable college experience: “Graduating – it shocked everyone that I actually got through it.” How college students today differ from earlier generations: “From 1958-62 you could see the first rumblings of students saying ‘we’re clients–do not fold, staple and mutilate us!’ We were quite isolated from the whole process. Today, the whole operational process has opened up. Students still don’t think they have a voice, but it’s certainly better than it was. Students are also more mature now.” Hobbies: Golf, woodworking (“I basically take big pieces of wood and make smaller ones”), working on cottage in northern Wisconsin.

Kendall Baker, Vice President and Provost

College Attended: University of Maryland (1963) Georgetown University – Graduate School. Major: Political Science. Very First Job: “Counting cars on a corner on Friday and Saturday nights when I was 14. It was to see if Hotshoppe (now the Mariott Corporation) should put up a restaurant there.” First Job After College: Instructor of Political Science at Wyoming in 1967. First Car: White and persimmon 1956 Mercury. Most memorable college experience: “Skiing and singing. I was an ardent ski enthusiast and was in a variety of musical productions and organizations. Another exciting experience was getting a 4.0 one semester.” How college students today differ from earlier generations: “I don’t think there’s a whole lot of difference in students, though there is a big difference in college. The requirements to get a degree are different than when I went to school. The basic notion of wanting to go to school to broaden one’s education, curiosity, creativity and independence is still the same.”Hobbies: “My Porsche (currently a red 944) is my main and longest hobby–I’ve been driving them for 23 years. I used to race and repair them, and have entered them in all sorts of contests. The Porsche is like another member of the family and always has been. My other hobby is I love my wife and family.”

Gerald O’Dell, Athletic Director

College Attended: Southeast Oklahoma State (1971) University of Oklahoma – Graduate school. Major: Physical Education. Very First Job: “Washing dishes in the restaurant my mother managed.” First Job After College: Spent six months in the army after school as part of the army reserve. First car: 1962 Chevy Bel-Air – “We called it the Blue Goose.” Most memorable college experience: “The total college experience. I was a student who was involved in many activities–football (a lineman/linebacker on a four-year scholarship), and social and academic fraternities.” How college students today differ from earlier generations: “I don’t think they’re a lot different. It is still good to get involved in activities–students who don’t do that miss out on a lot of things.” Hobbies: Running, fishing, backpacking, canoeing and spending quiet time with wife in their cabin in northern Wisconsin.

Eddie Willliams, Vice President, Finance and Planning/Director of Budget

College attended: Ottawa University in Ottawa, Kan. (1962) Columbia University (N.Y.) – Graduate School. Major: Mathematics, with a minor in psychology, philosophy and religion. Very First Job: Dishwasher at a five and dime store. First Job After College: Assistant professor of mathematics at NIU. First Car: a 1966 blue Chevy Malibu. Most memorable college experience: “My freshman year, when I got picked up, driven ten miles outside town and had to walk back.” How students today differ from earlier generations: There is a major change in emphasis. When I was in school, there was a focus on social issues, social problems and a general concern for the well-being of others. Now there’s more a concern for careers and personal development. Hobbies: Flying, railroading.

Barbara Henley, Acting Vice President for Student Affairs

College Attended: University of Illinois at Chicago (late 60s, early 70’s) Major:History and Teacher Education. Very First Job: At Spiegel’s order house in Chicago (age 17) First Job After College: Teacher in Chicago public schools. First Car: A silver Mecury Capri. Most memorable college experience:Graduation. It had been four academically challenging years and I was glad to have it behind me. How today’s college students differ from earlier generations: “When I was in college, the atmosphere was tense. In the later years of the Vietnam war, there was always some kind of demonstration going on. I think college students today are more career-oriented.” Hobbies: Reading biographies and popular novels (favorite authors are Maya Angelou, Sydney Sheldon and Danielle Steele), baking and traveling.