Funds nixed for branch campus

By Tammy Sholer

Plans to build a permanent NIU branch campus in Rockford suffered a setback when Gov. James Thompson vetoed $500,000 Thursday for locating a site and construction costs.

The Illinois General Assembly approved to amend the Board of Regents’ fiscal year 1990 budget allowing for $500,000 to locate a branch site and cover additional costs associated with acquisition-related expenses. The Regents govern NIU.

NIU President John LaTourette said the project has not failed yet initially because the line item veto in the state budget can be overridden.

Sen. Joyce Holmberg, D-Rockford, who introduced the amendment May 24, said she also will try to get a veto override Oct. 2.

Continuing the battle to construct a permanent campus in Rockford is LaTourette’s plan. “The Rockford community has indicated for a long time that they wanted a university,” he said.

Increasing the level of community involvement in the fight and going through regular channels to receive the funds are two steps LaTourette said he will take next.

If the funds are not overturned by Illinois legislators, LaTourette said he will submit a request for the funds to the Illinois Board of Higher Education to be included in the state’s 1990 budget.

He also said to get the Rockford business community involved in the fight, he will work with Holmberg and the Rockford Chamber of Commerce. The business community should tell the governor and legislators that the project is important to them, LaTourette said.

Holmberg said her Rockford office is receiving lots of phone calls from people in the community wondering what to do to get a branch in Rockford.

Sue Grans, vice president for the Rockford Area Chamber of Commerce, said letters and personal contact with legislators will help obtain funds for the branch campus.

Rockford Chamber of Commerce President John Holub was unavailable for comment Tuesday but Grans said his main thrust is to work hard toward an NIU branch in Rockford.

The NIU branch is the most important project now for Rockford’s continued growth, Holub said in an issue of the Rockford Register Star. “You can be assured that the business community will be a part of a larger group that will be fighting to get that money restored.”

If a branch is built, identical programs offered at NIU will continue to be offered until an assessment can be completed of additional educational needs, LaTourette said.

The same admission and graduation requirements of NIU will apply to students at the branch LaTourette said. Students completing their education at the Rockford branch also will receive the same diploma that NIU students in DeKalb receive, LaTourette said.