NIU gets research funds

By Tammy Sholer

Nearly $1.5 million will be awarded to NIU to allow three members of the NIU physics department to continue their research at Batavia’s Fermilab and to allow representatives to train workers at the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.

The Board of Regents, NIU’s governing board, approved “the contract with the U.S. Department of Energy to conduct high energy physics research” at its June 21 and 22 meeting, a chancellor’s report stated.

The two-year contract, “Study of High Energy Phenomena Using Muons,” for about $900,000 allows three members of the physics department to continue their research at Fermilab, Assistant Provost Lynn Waldeland said. Previously, the three members had a contract for about $480,000 to conduct research at the lab, she said.

According to the report, the research involves the use of the lab’s “proton-antiproton collider” to explore mass regions opened by “certain energy and luminosity levels.”

The Regents also approved a grant, “Challenges,” for about $600,000. The one-year grant is offered by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services and will, in part, allow NIU representatives to coordinate in-service training for welfare specialists and child protective investigators.

The Regents also approved the deletion of a master’s program in technology, Waldeland said. The technology department offered two possible degrees—Masters of Science in Industry and Technology and Master of Science in Industrial Management.

To better serve students, NIU deleted the M.S. in Industry and Technology and revised the M.S. in Industrial Management, Waldeland said. The combined master’s program will be more comprehensive to include studies from both degrees, she said.

In addition, several improvements will be made on campus in fiscal year 1990 since the Regents OK’d the use of about $3 million in non-appropriated funds resulting from bonds.

epairs include: replacement of Grant Towers roof for the C and D complexes ($185,000); replacement of seating at the Huskie Stadium ($250,000) and replacement of the sound and lighting sustem at the stadium ($275,000).

Resurfacing the Chick Evans Field House parking lot ($185,000) and the music building parking lot ($110,000) are also repairs scheduled for FY90. Construction of parking lot and facilities improvements at Lincoln Terrace and Normal Road properties ($200,000) are also scheduled.

Other improvements include: smoke detector systems for Stevenson Towers South ($375,000); new residence facility at the Lorado Taft Campus in Oregon, Ill. ($300,000); replacement of lighting in Lincoln and Douglas Halls ($250,000); and installing an energy monitoring system in Lincoln, Douglas and the Office Campus Recreation Center ($385,000).