Assembly names chairman

By Chris Callahan

The NIU Faculty Assembly recently has elected its new chairman, Professor J. Carroll Moody who has served on the assembly as well as the University Council for the past year.

He is also a member of the Joint University Advisory Committee.

As Faculty Assembly chairman, Moody presides over monthly assembly meetings. He also reports the results of these meetings to the UC on which he serves as executive secretary. The UC is a policy-making body made up of members of the administration, faculty, student body, operating staff, and supporting professional staff.

Although his term does not officially begin until July 1, Moody has been busy reviewing past assembly documents in preparation for the first meeting to be held August 30.

Moody’s main goal for the coming school year is to form a University Senate. The proposed senate would include representatives from every university department. Upon creation of a senate, the Faculty Assembly would be eliminated.

To form a senate, the Faculty Assembly must gain approval from the Board of Regents to amend the constitution of the UC. Moody also supports the issues of a separate governing board for NIU and tax increases for higher education.

Moody is a specialist in economic and labor history. He holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Corpus Christi, Texas, a master’s from Texas A&I, and a doctorate from the University of Oklahoma. Previously the assistant dean of arts and sciences at the University of Toledo, Moody began his career at NIU in 1968. He is an associate professor and the former chairman of the history department.

Moody succeeds Judith Bischoff, associate professor of physical education. She officially completes her two-year term as UC executive secretary this summer and will continue teaching in the fall. Bischoff was unavailable for comment, but Moody claims she has been very generous with her time and assistance this summer.