Dalton to leave NIU for Florida State University

By David Kirkpatrick

Jon Dalton, vice president for student affairs at NIU, has accepted a similar position at Florida State University in Tallahassee, effective Aug. 15.

Dalton will leave NIU for the 26,000-student FSU campus where he will administer a $17 million budget and take charge of the student affairs division, including the student center at FSU, student orientation program, international student services and several bond revenue operations.

Dalton was one of four finalists for the position last April, and at that time said, “I like my work here (at NIU). I’m just looking. It’s likely I won’t go. I don’t want to leave the area because my family is here.”

FSU President Bernard F. Sliger said Dalton “has had a long, dynamic career in university student affairs and in human relations and FSU has done well to select him as its new vice president for student affairs.”

Dalton will receive an annual salary of about $90,000 at FSU and will be issued an automobile for his own use. Dalton was paid about $70,000 for the similar position at NIU.

“I leave with great reluctance because I enjoy my work at NIU very much, especially the very positive relationships I have had with colleagues in the administration, with students, faculty and my co-workers in student affairs,” Dalton said.

However, the increase in salary offered to Dalton, a recommendation for tenure and expanded responsibilities, represent “one of the very best offers in my professional field anywhere in the country,” Dalton said.