Land to be discussed

By Tammy Sholer

National environmental concerns about holes in the ozone layer, contaminated groundwater and decreases in landfill space will be addressed at the local level when concerned citizens gather at the East Lagoon this week.

Student Association Sen. Mike Baltasi said at Sunday’s senate meeting that Earth Day will be held Friday at the lagoon from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. to discuss “problems affecting the environment (and) potential implications on future lives.”

Baltasi said the event was planned as an educational day to make students aware of their environment. He said speakers also will discuss what students and others can do to help maintain a clean and healthy environment.

“Most of what happens in the senate doesn’t mean shit, but Earth Day does matter,” Sen. Tom Link said.

The importance of recycling will be stressed during the day and the SA Recycling Station will be collecting recyclable materials at the lagoon, Baltasi said.

The recycling station was established in 1976 as a spin-off from Earth Day. The station recycles newspaper, computer paper, green and brown glass, aluminium, plastic milk jugs and magazines.

Political Science Chairman Lettie Wenner, who will speak at Earth Day, said numerous problems exist with today’s environment, including holes in the ozone layer, a decrease in landfill space and contaiminated groudwater.

The owner of the DeKalb County Landfill has projected that the landfill space is expected to be filled by summer and has applied to expand the site to accomodate more waste. The expansion is being considered by the county board.

Wenner does not plan to discuss problems with the enivorment, rather, she will speak on research she has conducted concerning court intervention with environmental policies and economical values.

The impact environmental interest groups have on setting environmental policies and strategies for implementing certain policies also will be discussed by Wenner.

Baltasi said the Audubon Society, whose main concern is with the preservation of bird species; Greenpeace, an environmental interest group; and Illinois Freeze Voters, which are concerned with nuclear energy, will speak on environmental problems.

The Sierra Club, another organization concerned with the environment, is scheduled to appear last and will pose solutions to environmental problems, Baltasi said. Members of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency were scheduled to appear at Earth Day to enlighten students on how they can help clean their environment but cancelled their appearance a few days ago, he said.

Two bands will play to attract students to the event, Baltasi said. Paul K., a local accoustic guitar player, will begin the musical performances followed by Malachi and Mellow Vibes, a Chicago reggae band.

The cost for the event was about $1,300, Baltasi said. Funds were allocated by Campus Activities Board, which approves funds for organizations that want to sponsor a speaker or concert but do not have the funds.