Service awards presented

By Nissin Behar

The 1989 Outstanding Service Awards for civil service employees recognized four NIU staff members, whom together have served the university for more than 50 years.

The awards and checks for $250, presented by NIU President John LaTourette, were distributed to each winner in the Holmes Student Center’s Regency Room last Friday.

Jean Callary, Career Planning and Placement Center recruitment coordinator; Donna Dunn, administrative secretary in the provost’s office; Mike Korcek, director of sports informantion and Bob Wallace, grounds crew gardener were the recipients.

Callary, who earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from NIU, has been in charge of the campus employment recruiting program since 1985.

Joan Greening, associate director of career planning and placement, said “Jean serves as an advocate for both students seeking employment and employers interested in hiring NIU graduates.”

Patrick Delaney, NIU professor and former accountancy chairman, said, “Jean deals with firm representatives with professional finesse, sometimes under very trying conditions. The recruiters who deal with her have the highest regard for all aspects of her performance and dedication.”

It was Callary’s idea to have the Spring Job Fair, which will bring nearly 100 employers to the Student Center Ballroom on Wednesday.

Donna Dunn, a graduate of DeKalb High School, has worked for the dean of continuing education and in the provost’s office.

Joan Gardner, a co-worker, said, “Within the past two years she has ‘gone computer.’ She has done this so well that she is our office reference person. She receives calls from all across campus asking for her help to resolve various computer-related questions.”

Mike Korcek, another NIU journalism graduate, has received six national writing contest awards from the College Sports Information Directors of America within the last two years.

Elizabeth Bass, editor of Northern Now, said, “I read both the Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times everyday. Besides the reports of games, there are human interest items that originated with Mike’s office, in columns and notes several times a week.”

Bob Wallace, campus gardener, has worked at NIU since 1964.

Sally Stevens, secretary in LaTourette’s office, said, “Bob is a master gardener/florist who studied in the field and trained and managed a private greenhouse before coming to Northern.”