Rooming house fire leaves 7 homeless

A rooming house fire Tuesday caused $7,000 in damage and left seven people temporarily homeless.

DeKalb Fire Department reports state the fire at 242 Augusta Ave. started in a furnace room and damaged the room’s ceiling and furnace ducts. An opening in the kitchen ceiling allowed the fire to spread across the ceiling, reports state.

The fire was extinguished before it could spread beyond the kitchen.

No injuries were reported in the fire. Three fire trucks and 13 firefighters brought the fire under control in eight minutes and remained at the scene for about 90 minutes.

The DeKalb Fire Department is investigating the fire.

The rooming house’s owner Robert Simek said the damage was primarily confined to the furnace room. The house’s occupants should be able to return “in a few days,” he said.