SA Mass Transit Board to buy bus radios

By Tammy Sholer

The Student Association Mass Transit Board voted Monday to spend $1,500 on three radios for the board’s late night ride service.

Board Chairman Dave Emerick said the radios will be bought with money that was not spent after bus route 3-C was discontinued this semester. About $10,000 remains in the board’s budget, allocated for the operation of the 3-C bus.

Board member Michael Cassman said delivery of the radios will take between four and 16 weeks. He said the radios have to be purchased through NIU at a cost of $500 each.

Without radios of their own, the board has to borrow radios, and they are not always on the same frequency, Cassman said.

One radio will be connected to the University Police’s frequency, while another will be connected to the radios in residence halls, he said.

In other business, bus route 6 will be rerouted in the fall 1989 semester to increase accessibility and ridership in downtown DeKalb.

Olin Anderson, board member, said route 6 should run on Lincoln Highway instead of Grove Street to make the bus more visible to students.

Route 6 “passes through downtown DeKalb a block south of the main activity area, Lincoln Highway,” stated a report prepared by Anderson. Shoppers rarely notice route 6 because it runs on Grove Street, the report states.

“It (route 6) won’t be that much different,” Anderson said.

Four bus stops will be moved to accompany the rerouting of route 6, Anderson said. One stop will be moved from Grove and 10th Streets to Lincoln Highway and 10th Street.

A stop at Grove and Seventh Streets will move to Lincoln Highway and Eighth Street. Another stop will be moved from Grove and Fourth Streets to Lincoln Highway and the CNW railroad tracks. A stop at Grove and Third Streets will be moved to Lincoln Highway and the DeKalb stores west of Lehan Drugs, 203 E. Lincoln Hwy.

Board member Kristin Hallerud said route 6 stops in front of the Senior Citizens Center, and many seniors exit the bus there.

Anderson said senior citizens are not “immobile.” He said the reason for changing route 6 is to service students.

However, board member Mark Brierton said although he liked the proposal, changing a bus route in the middle of a semester would inconvience students.

Board member Matt Kouzes said rerouting should occur at the beginning of a semester because too many people’s schedules would have to be altered.

Emerick said he will make sure the new route 6 is incorporated into next year’s route map.

Emerick also signed a contract at Monday’s meeting with the City of DeKalb to provide buses on city roads. He said the contract formalizes a working relationship with the businesses of DeKalb.

DeKalb Mayor Greg Sparrow signed the contract. Jon Dalton, vice president for student affairs, and James Harder, vice president for business and operations, still must sign the contract.

In other business, the board approved the handicapped vehicle hours for after spring break. The handivan will operate Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m., Wednesday from 2 p.m to 9 p.m., Friday from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday from noon to 11 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.