IBHE requirements

By Diane Buerger

Sen. John Maitland, R-Bloomington, will introduce a bill in the Illinois General Assembly today proposing that the Illinois Board of Higher Education’s college admission requirements be made advisory rather than mandatory.

The requirements, which are scheduled to take effect in the fall of 1993, include four years of English, three years of social studies, math and science and two years of foreign language, music or art. Under the 1985 School Reform Act, the IBHE mandatory requirements were scheduled to take effect in 1990, but the General Assembly extended the date so that high schools could add them to their curriculum.

In a editorial Sunday in the Rockford Register Star, NIU President John LaTourette said, “The IBHE admissions program would require 15 regular courses out of 20 in a four-year program. It is obvious that mandating 75 percent of the course work for a college prep curriculum will require additional teachers and resources as well as reduce the electives in a student’s program.

“Many Illinois high schools do not have the current resources to staff the additional courses to meet the IBHE requirements,” he said.

Maitland said, “Not every student needs three years of math to prepare for their major. Students who are more adept at math are more likely to take advanced courses, and requiring all the students will cause limited space with one teacher for a large number of students. So that low achievers may pass it, you will have to bring down the level of that course.

“All the university presidents and deans that I have written to support my position. Some of the media think I’m backing away from tougher standards. I happen to think that’s wrong.” He said he approves of the proposal because of its flexibility.

In order for smaller school districts that lack the funds and faculty to teach the required courses, Maitland favors consolidation of schools.

LaTourette said, “A better approach is to maintain flexibility and base our ultimate requirements on the experience of high schools and universities in admitting students with the increased standards at several levels.”

Sen. Patrick Welch, D-Peru, said he opposes the proposal to change the requirements. “I think to totally remove the course requirements set up by the IBHE without any other recommendation is a step backwards from the School Reform Act.

“I think high schools should have four years of English to be taught. But in some schools, if the science labs are not available, I could see easing the science requirement to three years,” Welch said.