Student group to protest Thompson

By Tammy Sholer

The Student Political Education and Action Committee has decided to protest Gov. James Thompson before he attends a republican fundraiser tonight.

At Tuesday’s SPEAC meeting, the committee organized a protest of Thompson before he enters Matthew Boone’s Restaurant and Lounge, 122 S. First St., for the 5:30 p.m fundraiser.

SPEAC member Michael Murvihill read the message that SPEAC members will deliver to Thompson. The message states that lack of funding to higher education has limited access to low income families. He added that lack of funding also has forced the quality of instructors and education to decline in Illinois.

The committee stressed that the protest is not anti-republican, but “anti-Thompson.” SPEAC member Gary Stittgen said if the protest turns anti-republican, “I’m going to walk away.”

SPEAC Chairman Paula Radtke said the protest will include gathering at the PowWow Room in the Holmes Student Center at 3 p.m. to design posters. At 4:30 p.m., SPEAC members will organize other groups participating in the protest. At 4:45, everyone will ride a Huskie bus to Matthew Boone’s and await Thompson’s arrival.

Committee members will contact SA senators and members of other organizations to join the protest, Radtke said. Several groups SPEAC will try to contact are the Black Student Union, the Young Democrats, the Gay/Lesbian Union and the Residence Hall Association, she said.

SPEAC member John Morreale suggested the committee devise a written message and hand it to Thompson while everyone else stands behind in support.

Stiggen said protesters can corner Thompson and make him answer questions. “There’s no harm in that.” He said the committee also needs to generate groups to make the protest successful.

Radtke disputed Stittgen’s statement that if many people attend and act “stupid,” Thompson will ignore the message.

Murvihill reminded the committee of Day of Action II on April 13 when 200 people blocked Lincoln Highway in protest to a $125 tuition increase approved by the Board of Regents.

SPEAC discussed whether they should sponsor the protest alone or have other organizations co-sponsor the event.

SPEAC member Brian Holt said, “It’s dangerous to worry about who gets credit. We (SPEAC) want to co-sponsor with everybody that we can.”

Radtke said if more organizations sponsor the protest, the less responsibility that SPEAC will have if people act “stupid.”

However, Stittgen said SPEAC should keep the sponsorship to maintain the legitimacy of the protest.

Murvihill agreed that SPEAC should take the credit for the protest despite the outcome. He said the protest will remain legitimate if people are impressed with SPEAC. He said radical looking people—”a bunch of long-haired hippies with a bunch of signs”—will not impress the governor.

In other business, Radtke said she met with Director of Public Safety James Elliott Monday to discuss communication problems between the University Police and the SA.

She said Elliott requested that students bring complaints and questions about the UPs to him. She said she will meet with Jon Dalton, vice president for student affairs, and NIU Ombudsman Bertrand Simpson for further consultation on the matter.