Campus reaction strongly relayed

By Diane Buerger

Campus reaction about the proposed policy changes during last week’s Board of Regents meeting at Illinois State University was strongly presented, SA President Huda Scheidelman said.

“This issue has caused a definitely strong response from Normal,” Scheidelman said. “It can take a lot for ISU to react this way.”

The Board of Regents govern NIU, Illinois State University in Normal and Sangamon State University in Springfield.

When the board met at ISU several protesters including representatives from the student body, alumni association, academic senate and other ISU organizations spoke out against the proposed policy changes and carried signs in opposition. The Daily Vidette, ISU’s student newspaper, also included an editorial calling for the resignation of Regents’ Chancellor Roderick Groves.

When the board meets in October at NIU, the Regents might see more protest and opposition.

“I think the students of Northern will present their position when the board comes,” Scheidelman said.

Most of the efforts should be placed against the proposed policy rather than a personal attack against Groves, she said.

“I think that a lot has been placed on the chancellor. The action (on the policies) is wrong rather than a personal criticism.

“As far as the (ISU) meeting goes, some of the statements made were inappropriate and out of bounds,” Scheidelman said.

The proposed policy changes were first expressed in July after they were outlined in a memo by Groves. This fall, both ISU and NIU asked for delays and a rewording of the changes.

At last week’s meeting, the board agreed to have the changes studied by a two-member committee. Regents Chairman Carol Burns and Joint University Advisory Committee Chairman Doug Anderson will consult with Groves and the three university presidents on the matter. The committee will complete their report two weeks before the October Regents meeting.

“The impact has yet to be felt in the next month,” Scheidelman said.