Graduate student art exhibit

An exhibit entitled “The Exquisite Corpse” displays the work of six NIU graduate students in the Holmes Student Center art gallery.

The exhibit, on display through Saturday, features a collection of constructions crafted from raw materials such as scrap metal. The artists are Nicole Beck, Bryan Schuetze, Phyllis Chiarelli, David Wildfield, Todd Persche and Joel Graesser.

The participants will hold a closing reception on Friday. Chiarelli, a member of the Campus Activities Board, coordinated the exhibit.

Dance classes offered

NIU’s community dance school is offering eight classes in adult jazz, social dance and body wellness through dance from Jan. 30 through May 3.

The jazz class will meet on Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. and the social dance and body wellness sessions will meet Wednesdays from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. All classes will be in Anderson Hall.

Registration forms are available in Room 143 of the NIU Music Building. There is a $40 fee.

Exhibit features Italian artists

An exhibit entitled “Una Semantica Della Ragione (A Semantic of Reason)” featuring five Neapolitan artists will be on display Jan. 23 through Feb. 19 in Gallery 200 of the Visual Arts Building.

The display features the work of five art professors at the Istituto Statale d’Arte, a government-run art school in Naples, Italy. The professors are Gianni d’Anna, Antonio Giannino, Antonio Lauro, Mario Mercogliano and Salvatore Oppido.

Gallery hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The exhibit is sponsored by NIU’s School of Art with support from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Illinois Arts Council.

Faculty concert Tuesday

The first program of the NIU faculty concert series will be presented at 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Music Building Concert Hall.

A string quartet will perform with guest pianist Allan Danson, who is a NIU staff accompanist and a professional accompanist and conductor.

The program will include Crisantemi by Puccini, Mozart’s Quartet in D minor and piano Quintet in F minor by Brahms.

The concert is free and open to the public.

Learn about health insurance

The Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act and other health insurance issues will be discussed Tuesday at a meeting of the Northern Illinois Chapter of State Universities Annuitants Association.

The meeting will be held at 2 p.m. at the Westminster Presbyterian Church, 830 Annie Glidden Road.