Students petition to fill vacant SA seats

By Tammy Sholer

Seventeen students filed petitions by Thursday’s 4:30 p.m. deadline to fill the seven vacant Student Association Senate seats.

Ten students filed petitions for five openings of the 32 off-campus senate seats. There are two vacancies in the 16 on-campus seats. Seven students are running for the on-campus positions.

Students in the race for off-campus seats include:

*Raymond Callahan

*James Diskin

*Brigid Garry

*Risa Newman

*Gary Raczek

*Robert Rinardi

*Andrew Shankman

*Gerald Stroobosschen

*Susan Vincent

*Robert Zolna

Students running for on-campus senate seats are:

*Colleen Halliman

*Thomas Gary

*Cynthia Miller

*Ranjeet Rai

*Bradley Strauss

*Ilene Tokarz

*Henry Treftz

The names listed above are not in any particular order and will not necessarily appear on the ballot in this order.

Potential candidates had to receive 200 valid signatures from students living in their district. Signatures will be vertified by Elections Commisioner Robert Perry

The senate vacancies were the result of resignations by seven senators last semester. The resignations were approved by the senate.

An eighth resignation is awaiting senate approval at its first meeting Jan. 29. After the resignation has been approved. SA President Paula Radtke will appoint someone to that position.

Students may vote Tuesday and Wednesday in DuSable Hall, founders Memorial Library, Cole Hall and the Pow Wow Room. Students must show a student identification card before they can vote.

It has been reported in the Star that the election date was moved up in an attempt to attract sincere candidates and distract the less serious candidates.

“Hopefully, this wll weed out the chaff and we can get more dedicated candidates,” said SA Vice President Gregg Bliss in the Jan 19th Star.

Students voting for senate seats also will be asked to vote on a referendum concerning a campus-wide security phone system. If passed, a one-time student fee could be added to this fall’s tuition bills.