Shaw bolsters NIU protesters

By Susie Snyder

“Remember that a small group of people began the protest of the Vietnam War … don’t be discouraged by your small number.”

Chicago 9th Ward Alderman Robert Shaw encouraged the Students for the Freedom of Martha Palmer with these words at a student hearing Nov. 10 to continue protesting the controversial dismissal of CHANCE counselor Martha Palmer.

Shaw asked the students to contact him at his downtown Chicago office this Wednesday to “set up something to get some attention” for the Palmer issue.

He said Monday that he and his brother, State Rep. William Shaw of the 34th District, are planning a press conference for 10 a.m. this Friday in the press room of Chicago’s City Hall. The two men plan to discuss with NIU students legislative actions which could be taken against the university if Palmer is not rehired.

Alderman Shaw said the Palmer issue involves institutional racism and therefore involves minority students. He said students should become involved not only to save Palmer’s job, but to help themselves after she is gone from NIU.

Willie Fowler, a student present at the Nov. 10 hearing, said he did not know whether he will attend Friday’s press conference, but “certainly if there is a need to represent (NIU) students, I will be there.”

“Let’s get together in Chicago and put some real heat on (the NIU administration),” Rep. Shaw told students at the hearing. “We will make a difference at this university.”