Traveling ‘teacher’ preaches to students

By Jill Stocker

Brother Jed Smock, the traveling evangelist who visits NIU almost every year, drew a crowd of about 150 interested spectators as he preached in the King Memorial Commons Tuesday afternoon.

“I’m the teacher for the day for Christianity 101,” Smock said, ignoring the many comments hecklers yelled out at him.

Smock said college campuses are prone to evil, sex, drugs and alcohol, and students need someone like him to set them straight.

“Anyone you see sinning isn’t pure,” Smock said, “and you’re only a Christian when you are pure.” He said he can tell if someone is clean and sober or if they are using drugs because those using drugs are not intelligent.

“Brother Jed” is against greek students because he says they are in college only to party, not to learn. He also cut down hippies, college education, drugs, alcohol, promiscuity, homelessness and immodest clothing because they are not Christian attributes.

Clothing, Smock said, reveals a lot about a person. He said women who wear tight jeans or mini-skirts are dressing that way only because they want to turn men on. Pre-marital sex and even pre-marital kissing are not moral, Smock said, and those who participate in these activities are sinners.

“He has no backup for anything he’s saying and the only reason he’s getting a crowd is because he’s amusing,” said Michelle Hammer, a sophomore corporate communications major.

Brad Carlson, a junior health administration major, said Brother Jed is down on everything he talks about. “I don’t know what he’s trying to get across because he changes his tune every few minutes,” Carlson said.

The crowd, which encircled Smock, grew larger and became more aggressive and outspoken the longer he talked. Several people, angered by Smock’s comments, walked directly up to him to rebut what he said. Most of the time, Smock avoided any eye contact with these people.

A topic that angered many women in the crowd was Smock’s insistence that women are weaker than men. “Women have it in their nature,” he said. “They have a weaker vessel.”

Smock also said that a woman is her husband’s private property and he has a legal right to force himself on her. He said that he would not do this to his wife, though, because he has too much invested in her.

“The only reason most of you are here (at NIU) is because it’s a good place to party for four years. You should be out in the real world working,” Smock said. When hassled about working himself, Smock said “I’m a teacher. It’s my work to set you free.”