Ellwood House

Ellwood+House

By Amanda Martin

DeKalb’s Ellwood House Museum will be opening its grounds to the community for its annual Fall Festival this Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

Museum Director Gerald Brauer said a crowd of about 500 people will be expected this year, weather permitting.

“This festival has been going on for about 15 years now,” he said. Of the five major festivals hosted by Ellwood House throughout the year, “this is the one students participate in most,” Brauer said.

The museum grounds are located at 509 N. First St.

The festival is fashioned after an “old-time” harvest market and will feature assorted arts and crafts booths. The booths are sponsored by organizations and individuals from the Northern Illinois and Wisconsin area. The hand-crafted and seasonal gift items for sale will include wood crafts, folk art, jewelry, crochet and needlework and sheepskin items, as well as a used book sale.

Plenty of food also will be on hand, including fresh apples and cider form the Jonamac Orchards in Malta.

The highlight of the afternoon will be the Dobirr Jazz Quartet, a group comprised of NIU graduate music students. The group will be playing classical jazz throughout the afternoon’s festivities.

Brauer said he hopes students will turn out to enjoy the afternoon eating, listening to the band and visiting the various booths.

“We’re always happy to have students come out and tour the museum. It should be a very enjoyable day,” he added.

Students are invited to tour the Ellwood Mansion and Carriage House and will receive a 50 cent discount with a student identification card or Ellwood advertisement from today’s Northern Star.