Class too difficult

In regards to Jill Stocker’s Sept. 29 article and the Oct. 5 editorial on “childish” Math 101 students, granted, college math courses are not designed to “spoonfeed” students. However, “core competency” should test a student’s ability to logically draw conclusions for himself based on understandable exercises.

The problem I personally have with Math 101 is that the exercises and concepts are difficult to understand and often require prerequisite knowledge beyond my three years of high school math and one semester of college math. As a transfer student, I am quite familiar with academic work. Certain types of mathematics do not come easily to me, nor will I be required to take another math class beyond by GED 101 requirement.

I have already acted on your suggestions as I regularly attend help sessions, I have seen Dr. Sons in a test review session, and I have spoken to Chairman Selfridge. There are few tutors for this course because it is new and experimental. Despite my efforts, there are days when I am still unable to understand the book’s explanations, nevermind the assigned problems.

The experiment is failing. This class is frustrating students who already recognize their weak mathematic skills!

Marguerite Bon

Junior

Pre-Communications