History seminar blends historians, teachers

By Cheryl Groth

The Eighth Annual New Ideas in History Conference will be Friday, Oct. 21 at 8:30 a.m. in the Holmes Student Center.

The conference is sponsored by NIU’s department of History, College of Continuing Education, and Department of Clinical Education.

The purpose of the conference is to offer junior high and senior high school history and social studies teachers an opportunity to learn about the latest research in history from their collegues at NIU and other universities, history department Chairman Otto Olsen said.

The emphasis of the seminar is to have professional historians speak to the teachers so they can remain up-to-date on the subject, he said.

This is a good way for teachers to renew contacts and get new ideas for teaching, Deborah Booth, College of Continuing Education coordinator said.

The conference begins at 8:30 a.m. with registration in the Illinois room of the student center. Two talks will be given at 9 a.m., one by Allan Kulikoff of NIU’s history department in the Heritage room and one by Carbondale Community High School teacher Patricia Grimmer in the Illinois room. At 10:30 a.m. Alfred Young, of NIU’s history department will speak in the Heritage room, and Jasper Neel, of NIU’s English department will speak in the Illinois room.

The keynote address will be given in the Skyroom by Florencia Mallon, history professor at the University of Wisconsin Madison.

Some 75 to 100 teachers are expected to attend the conference.