Events planned to spark spirit

By Jill Stocker

Homecoming week should prove to be a busy time with activities in which NIU students can participate throughout the week.

In addition to volleyball and softball tournaments played this weekend, canoe races will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. at the East Lagoon.

The Coors Comedy Commandos, a two-man comedy act of Tim Settini and Jim Ferrentino, is a good way to kick back and relax Tuesday night. They will perform at 8 p.m. in the Sandburg Auditorium at the Holmes Student Center.

Ten NIU students are on the ballot for 1988 Homecoming royalty. Voting will take place Tuesday through Friday outside the Pow Wow Snack Bar. The king and queen will be announced Friday night during a student/alumni talent show.

Four Men Standing Around and Singing, a lighthearted musical act, will perform at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Duke Ellington Ballroom.

“Yell Like Hell,” an annual cheering competition between student organizations, is a great way to show some Huskie spirit. Deb Larson, secretary for the Campus Activities Board, said the annual contest will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Chick Evans Fieldhouse.

A bonfire and pep rally, featuring the Huskie Marching Band, the Silverettes and the cheerleading squad, will follow “Yell Like Hell” at the West Lagoon.

A talent show, including student entries as well as NIU faculty, staff and alumni, will be held Friday at 8 p.m. in the Duke Ellington Ballroom. Kevin Matthews, WLUP-FM Chicago radio personality, will be the master of ceremonies, beginning the show with a stand-up comedy act.

The main event of Homecoming week—the Huskie football game against Ball State—will begin at 1:05 p.m. on Saturday. Spare Parts, an alumni band, will help spread Huskie spirit as they perform in the tailgating area before the game.