Homcoming events need involvement

By Jill Stocker

The 1988 Homecoming Committee is encouraging all NIU students to get involved in this years’ homecoming activities, said Christine Hennessey, assistant chairman of the homecoming public relations committee.

In past years, Hennessey said many of the events associated with homecoming week were considered to be greek events, and as a result, many non-greek students did not become involved in the homecoming activities. “We want to make sure the whole Northern community knows we’re interested in their involvement,” she said.

Sandy Westerman, a senior elementary education major, said she thinks it is hard for individuals who are not involved in a sorority or fraternity to get involved in homecoming activities. She said she believes it is easier for large groups like sororities and fraternities to participate in many of the activities. In order for students living in the dorms to participate, they almost have to get their whole floor involved, Westerman said.

Because a large majority of NIU students live in the residence halls, the Campus Activities Board, which is in charge of homecoming activities, is attempting to get more of these students involved.

This years’ homecoming activities include a talent show; the annual “yell like hell” contest; a banner contest; a parade; and sporting events including softball, volleyball and canoe races, sponsored by the Office of Campus Recreation. An application fee is required for entry into some of the events.

The homecoming public relations committee has assembled a homecoming packet, which is available in the CAB’s student center office, with rules, descriptions and applications for any students interested in homecoming participation.