BSU pres. calls for black unification

By Susie Snyder

Unification of the NIU black community is the main objective of newly-elected Black Student Union president, Tracy Deis.

Deis, a sophomore English major, won the position in the BSU officers’ elections Sept. 22. Other elected officers include Vice President Todd Ellis, a senior marketing major; Secretary Renae Moore, a junior journalism major; and Treasurer Judith Moncrieffe, a sophomore business management major.

Deis said she believes the BSU must form an outreach to all blacks on campus. “We must come together as one, we cannot make it alone,” she said.

Moore said she will be Deis’ right hand with her goal. “Everyone walks around chanting about how blacks are unified … but they’re not.”

Moore said there is a strong lack of unification at NIU and the problem needs to be solved.

Elbert Purdy, BSU election commissioner, said black participation in BSU is “fair,” but he’s not pleased with it. “Many blacks don’t even know where the Office of Black Studies is located, due to lack of initiative,” he said.

Deis said getting more blacks invloved in the BSU is the first step toward unification. She said she does not want to be the only voice for the BSU. “Just because I’m president doesn’t mean I have all the answers to what needs to be done. I want to work along with my staff,” she said.

Every facet of the organization needs volunteers because “the structure needs to be rebuilt from square one,” Deis said. She said the organization cannot begin to help others until it strengthens itself.

Purdy said one of his goals for the organization is to motivate more blacks to participate in elections.

Out of the 1,000 blacks at NIU, only about 170 voted in the Sept. 22 elections, Purdy said. He said the turnout was lower than it has been in the past.

Purdy attributes the poor turnout to either “not enough publicity, or a lack of effort of black students to find out what is going on.

“Voting is a great opportunity for people to get the candidates they think will do the best job elected, and I want the students to realize that,” he said.

Deis said she was disappointed with the voting turnout. “But it shows me that 170 students are interested, and I can take those 170 and make it go from there—and others can follow if they want,” she said.

Deis said another goal for the fall semester is to continue to publish Life-Line, a newspaper produced by the BSU. She said she will use Life-Line as a major tool for her outreach to blacks and other minority groups on campus.

Anyone interested in helping with Life-Line is encouraged to contact the Center for Black Studies. Deis said the paper still needs a full staff.

“Being a part of the BSU will be a very good experience to learn about yourself and others,” Deis said. She said all races are welcome to the group.