Students gain answers from presidential debate

By Tammy Sholer

Election fever is in the air, but the issues do not seem to be fogging students’ minds about whom they support for the next president of the United States.

More NIU students interviewed Monday, the day after the first presidential debates of 1988, supported Massachussetts Governor Michael Dukakis over Vice President George Bush.

Michael Miller, a second year law student at NIU, said he supports Dukakis because “he (Dukakis) is more passionate to the lower class in society.” Dukakis is a strong supporter of many social programs, Miller said.

Miller also commented on the country’s deficit. “The Reagan/Bush administration borrowed money to make the country successful. Interest rates have gone down since the Carter administration, (but) if a Republican is elected I don’t think the deficit will decline,” he said.

NIU graduate student Kristen Henriksen said she supports Dukakis because of his stand on nuclear disarmament. During the debate, Dukakis said that although he is against expanding the defense budget, he is in favor of some important defense spending.

However, NIU student Judy Parker said, “I believe in strong defense.” She said Bush favors increased police protection and a strong national defense system. For example, Bush said at the debate that he supports the Strategic Defense Initiative (“Star Wars”).

NIU student Bob Buyck said before the debate he would have voted for Dukakis because he was not sure where Bush stood on several issues. He said that after watching the debate he supports Bush, mainly due to Bush’s defense platform.

NIU student Sylvia Esterle said, “I still haven’t decided (whom to vote for).” She said she is leaning toward Dukakis, but that Bush supports some issues she believes in as well.