Simulation promotes student understanding of disabilities

By Diane Buerger

Jon Dalton, NIU vice president for student affairs, and two student leaders relied on wheelchairs instead of their feet yesterday, but two disabled students point out simulations alone will not bring about changes.

Sue Haas, a physically disabled student and member of the SA Mass Transit Board, said the simulation “helps some, but I don’t think it does as much good as everyone thinks it does.” There needs to be more advocacy for disabled students, she said.

Mark Indreika, 23, a Journalism/English education major who is disabled said, “I think it (the simulation) is a good idea because it helps people to gain somewhat of an understanding of what it is like to be disabled.”

Student Association Treasurer Diana Turowski who participated in the simulation said she has gotten to realize a lot about disabled people. “I’m definitely more aware of finding elevators and finding access to and from places,” she said.

Turowski said some of the difficulties in using a wheelchair include maneuvering on the ramps of the sidewalks. “The ramps do not look like much … but they are pretty frustrating,” she said.

Haas however, said she does not feel the architectural barriers at NIU are that bad and said this campus is “pretty good.” She said communication is what needs to be improved.

Indreika said, “I don’t think anything will change immediately, but there will be an increased awareness. The changed perceptions of a few will not change the policies of the university, but they will help if those people involved (offer their input) when it comes time for those changes.”

SA president Paula Radtke, who also participated in the simulation said, “Most people don’t know how many shortcuts we take.” She also said that Altgeld hall is very difficult because of the absence of an elevator.