Meeting to focus on Palmer issue

By Susie Snyder

“If things continue to go the same as at the Board of Regents meeting last Thursday, NIU will be begging to have Martha Palmer back.”

Jim Fabris, a student concerned with the firing of CHANCE counselor Martha Palmer, said Monday he and other students must develop more plans of action such as storming and protesting at the Board of Regents meeting Sept. 15 to “get the university to change its mind and rehire Martha.”

Fabris said all students concerned with Palmer’s termination of employment are invited to attend a special meeting tonight at 8 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center Pow Wow to discuss the issue.

The students will try to show other NIU students, faculty and administration that Palmer is the victim of institutional racism and sexism, Fabris said.

He said videotapes of prior actions and meetings for Palmer’s defense will be shown for informational background.

Plans also will be made to print and distribute leaflets with the information, Fabris said.

Palmer said she is aware of student efforts to retain her position and that she will attend the meeting if she is invited.

She said she already verbally expressed her lack of agreement toward her termination and has appealed it by asking for a due process hearing. Palmer said she requested the hearing procedure on June 29, but has not received a date for the hearings.

Frank Nowik, NIU assistant provost for personnel, is responsible for setting dates and organizing special hearing boards for due process hearings at NIU. He said it usually takes about two weeks to organize due process procedures.

Nowik said he could not reveal whether a date has been set for Palmer’s initial hearing because he cannot discuss any personnel issues. “I’m stuck on a gag, whether it’s about Palmer or anyone else,” he said.

Larry Bolles, director of NIU’s judicial office, said due process “generally gives you another chance.” The process gives all NIU faculty, administration and students the right to a fair hearing and review, he said.

At the hearings, all information against the defendant is presented to a special hearings board composed of an objective group of peers. The defendant is allowed to question the plaintiff about the information and to present a public defense.

In Palmer’s situation, the board would review all the information and decide if she should remain fired or be rehired, Bolles said. “Of course (NIU President John LaTourette) and the Board of Regents would have the final say-so,” he said.