University reconsiders alcohol policy

By Susie Snyder

NIU is following a new trend among Big 10 schools to reduce and limit on-campus drinking.

A revised alcohol regulation policy for NIU will work toward protecting the safety and welfare of students as well as educate them about alcohol abuse.

Jon Dalton, NIU vice president for student affairs, said the policy will regulate on-campus alcohol use through educational philosophy, by teaching students about alcohol abuse and by limiting the amount of alcohol consumed at university functions.

Dalton said he co-chaired a task force of students and faculty with Michael Haines, coordinator of Health Enhancement Services for the University Health Service, which reviewed various on-campus policies related with alcohol use.

“We felt the existing policies weren’t consistent or clear and that they didn’t really support the university’s views of alcohol abuse,” Dalton said.

Haines said the policy is a way to coordinate the efforts of all branches of the university to make the regulations more effective. “It helps if the head, legs and arms are all aware of what the others are doing,” he said.

Dalton said many of the regulations in the policy already were in effect, but there are a few significant additions to on-campus drinking rules.

One of the most substantial changes in regulations lies within General Policy 1.71 of the new policy. It states that kegs and bottles are specifically prohibited from pre- and post-football game activities.

Kegs are prohibited because “most people want to finish a keg,” which might result in over consumption and intoxification, Dalton said. Bottles are prohibited for safety reasons, he said.

Another new regulation is that all on-campus advertisements of alcohol must be in compliance with university ordinances. Advertisements cannot promote excessive drinking or functions where alcohol will be awarded as prizes, he said.

Dalton emphasized that the new policy does not try to prohibit the use of alcohol. “We’re just trying to give support to the students who don’t drink and we’re trying to make those who do drink more accountable and aware of what and how much they drink,” he said.

Regulations such as the right of students of legal age to drink behind the closed doors of their dorm rooms and that alcohol can be served in the Holmes Student Center for special university functions have not been changed, Dalton said.

However, licenses now must be obtained in advance of the occasion to serve alcohol, and food and non-alcoholic beverages must be available and clearly advertised so the alcohol will not be abused, Dalton said.

Haines said universities the size of NIU often have difficulty in coordinating efforts to successfully control substance abuse, but the new policy is a step in the right direction. He said the new policy probably will reduce high dosage drinking among students.

Rosemary Lane, director of the University Health Service, said the service is concerned that students need to be more aware of alcohol abuse, but the new policy should be helpful in controlling many of the sexual assaults, vandalism, fights, injuries and unwanted pregnancies that often are in correlation with intoxication. “Anything that makes people more aware helps,” she said.

However, some students are not as optimistic about the policy as faculty and do not agree with General Policy 1.71.

Jeff Ziemann, a senior international relations major, was hit in the head with a beer bottle at an NIU tailgate party in September 1987. He said he agrees bottles should be banned from the parties, but he doesn’t believe there is any harm with a keg and plastic cups. “As a person who likes to drink and have a good time, I don’t like (the new regulation) at all. It won’t cut down on alcohol consumption.”

John LaRosa, a senior journalism major, said the policy won’t solve the problem. “It’s like during prohibition. People still will drink.”

Brian Goelbert, a senior finance major, said he agrees there should be a policy to prevent people from getting hurt, but he does not believe the tailgate regulation will stop injuries. “A can of beer can do as much damage as a bottle. (NIU) should outlaw cans and bottles. This won’t limit the drinking and there will be much more clean-up because there will be so many cans.”