Police give thoughts on social functions

By Sylvia Phillips

School’s back—and it’s that time of year again when students flock to keggers, bars, house parties and other get-togethers to mingle with old friends and meet new ones.

Imbibing alcohol doesn’t have to mean abandoning common sense. Misunderstandings between participants of social gatherings and police can be averted if students are aware how to party legally and safely.

The DeKalb Police Department, which responds to calls about disturbances in fraternities, sororities or residential areas, offers some advice.

“I think sometimes students feel police officers don’t appreciate where they’re at in life, but I don’t think they (students) realize a lot of DeKalb police have high levels of education,” said DeKalb Police Detective William Feithen. “We do appreciate university life and can relate to students. We’d like to open up the lines of communication.”

Feithen suggests that before cranking up the stereo or traipsing to the nearest liquor store or bar, it is a good idea to check out DeKalb’s city ordinances—especially those pertaining to alcohol, noise and litter.

Once a party gets rolling, participants sometimes forget about the city’s noise ordinance. Amazing as it might seem, not everyone catches the party spirit. Some residents actually like sleeping at night. And people do object to hearing hard rock music blasting throughout neighborhoods late into evening hours.

Usually, if partymongers warn their neighbors and police in advance of the event, and try to keep noise levels within reasonable decibels, no problems will result. Police Sgt. Don Berke said DeKalb police usually give one warning per semester (not per party) before making arrests.

Use of alcohol, which is the common denominator at many social functions, is restricted by several ordinances. Students under 21 cannot enter taverns unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Taverns are instructed to call police if minors enter the establishments, Feithen said. Also, police routinely spot-check drinking establishments and arrest those who are under 21.

An obvious violation of alcohol ordinances is drinking and driving. As in many communities, DeKalb has increased arrests of intoxicated drivers under a three-year Driving Under the Influence program. Although that program ended this year, fines from arrests provided funding for Target Patrol, an extension of the DUI program, Feithen said.

Related to drinking and driving is transporting open containers of alcohol in vehicles. This ordinance is trickier than the one prohibiting driving while intoxicated because the car’s driver and passengers can be arrested and charged. And a conviction from such an arrest can have an adverse impact on insurance rates.

“I get feedback from students who tell me, ‘I had a conviction on my record, I pled guilty and got charged—now my insurance rate has skyrocketed or I couldn’t get insurance,'” Feithen said. “Presumably, insurance companies feel if you’re driving in a car with an open container you’re a bad risk.”

Another DeKalb ordinance prohibits walking in the community with open containers of alcoholic beverages. Feithen said the problem areas in which violations frequently occur include the downtown area, the Augusta-College Avenues area and the Greek Row area.

“Sometimes I think students don’t understand why they can’t walk down the streets with an open bottle,” he said. “But if they look at the yards and streets (after a Thursday night party, they can see) it creates a litter problem.”

To minimize problems such as damage to car tires from broken glass, the city has a litter ordinance.

Parties are fun for students, but playing blasting music, cutting through people’s yards and throwing empty beer bottles on lawns can annoy residents as well as result in arrests. A little communication and cooperation can go along way toward partying legally and safely.