Trips, movies on CAB’s summer agenda

By Bitrus Gwamna

A bus trip to Great America is planned for the weekend by the Campus Activities Board.

Jerry Reedy, a spokesman for the board, said the bus will leave NIU Friday morning, and will return at about 10 p.m. the same day. Students wishing to go on the trip should sign up at the Holmes Student Center.

Reedy said two more trips are planed for the summer. On July 22, students will visit Magic Waters in Rockford, and on July 29, students will ride to Chicago for a White Sox game. He said students on trips arranged by CAB save money on tickets and need not worry about problems involved with parking.

Aside from the bus trips, Reedy said, “We show free movies on Wednesdays and Sundays at the Diversions lounge (in the student center). We began showing these movies on June 22 and have shown, among others, the ‘Terminator’ and the ‘Maltese Falcon’.”

He said additional films will include “The Diner” and “To Catch a Thief”. He said the last film, “The 39 Steps,” will be shown on August 3.

“Each Tuesday at the Martin Luther King Mall, we sponsor what are called ‘nooners'”, Reedy said. “Local bands come to perform at these nooners.

“We are also having an Ice Cream Social and a watermelon fest.” He said he was not sure of the dates for these two events, but that they would probably be scheduled during the Tuesday concerts.

Reedy said CAB’s summer activities will end on August 3, and recommended students to take advantage of opportunities offered them to enjoy themselves.

“We have a good schedule of programming with movies, trips and concerts, and we advise everyone on campus, in view of the hot weather, to come in and see a movie, (or) to take a bus trip and get away from DeKalb for a day,” Reedy said.

He said CAB is financed by student fees, so it is within students’ interest to take advantage of these programs.

Reedy said CAB has planned a series of activities to begin with the return of students for the fall semester.