Interviews for V.P. to begin

By Sylvia Phillips

Students, faculty and staff will have a chance to meet the four candidates selected for the vice president for business and operations position when the applicants begin campus interviews this week.

The four applicants for the position will begin interviews on April 27 and finish on May 10, said Curtiss Behrens, assistant to NIU President John LaTourette, chairman of the Search Committee. Most of the activities will be held in the Holmes Student Center University Suite, Behrens said.

The applicants include Roy Flores, currently the vice president for business affairs at Pan American University, Texas. Flores will arrive at NIU on April 27 and will be interviewed through April 29.

Jerry Quick, who is employed as the associate vice chancellor for business at Vanderbilt University, Tennessee, will be interviewed from May 1 through May 3.

Phyllis Forbes, who is the management services division chief of the Arlington, Va., County Government, will interview at NIU from May 4 through May 6.

James Harder, who is NIU’s interim vice president for business and operations, will be interviewed from May 8 through May 10. Harder has held this position for two years. Prior to this, he was acting director of NIU’s physical plant.

The 2 1/2 day interviews will provide an opportunity for broad campus participation, Behrens said.

On the first day, candidates will arrive in the afternoon and have dinner and an interview session with the search committee.

The second day is devoted to appointments with each of the six divisional staffs that report to the vice president for business affairs, Behrens said. These include public safety, materials management, bond revenue facilities, systems, the controller and the physical plant. In addition to meeting with the directors and staff members, each candidate will meet the respective advisory group, he said.

On the last day, candidates will meet representatives from the Council of Deans; the two Presidential Commissions, including the Status on Women and the Status on Minorities; the Faculty Assembly; the Operating Staff Council; the Supportive Professional Staff Council; the Student Association; and appropriate student groups.

At 2 p.m. on the last day of each respective interview, members of the campus community, including students, faculty and staff, will have an opportunity to talk with each candidate in an open forum.

Flores received his bachelor’s degree in history and master’s degree in economics from Indiana State University. He received a doctorate in economics from Iowa State University.

Quick earned a bachelor’s degree in business and physical education from Indiana State University and a master’s degree in education with an emphasis in administration from Indiana University. He also has taken graduate courses and workshops in management, including a four-week course for administrators in higher education conducted jointly by Harvard University graduate schools of business and education.

Forbes received her bachelor’s degree in history from Stanford University, a master’s degree in German from the University of Arizona and a doctorate in education from the University of Arizona.

Harder received a bachelor’s degree in business from Eastern Illinois State College. He received his master’s degree in business from Eastern Illinois University. He earned a doctorate in higher education from Indiana University.

The position of vice president for business and operations is responsible for administering revenue bond facilities and for campus maintenance, Behrens said.

The selection of the four applicants complies with NIU’s Affirmative Action policies and procedures, Behrens said.