Ill. students plan Day of Action II trips

By Sandi Patyk

Students at Illinois universities are planning trips to Springfield for the Day of Action II on April 13.

Statewide Coordinator Brian Hopkins said he is encouraging universities “to focus events around a trip to Springfield. We aren’t recommending campus rallies, although we aren’t discouraging them.”

Hopkins, a Sangamon State University (Springfield) student member of the Board of Regents, said Day of Action II events include a noon rally on the east stairway outside the Illinois Capitol Building. Students will participate in “one on one lobbying” with legislators from 1 to 3 p.m., Hopkins said.

Kathy Towe, coordinator at Western Illinois University in Macomb, said students are competing in a letter-writing contest sponsored by the Inter Hall Council. “Students in the 10 residence halls are writing to their legislators about the (need for a) tax increase and budget cuts. The hall with the most percentage of letters will receive $400 towards the purchase of a computer,” Towe said.

About 100 WIU students are expected to go to Springfield, Towe said. She said classes have not been cancelled for the Day of Action II.

Members of fraternities, sororities and other campus organizations are being asked to sign petitions supporting a tax increase, Towe said. “We will send the petitions to Governor Thompson, and other important legislators.”

Towe said there will be a Day of Action II rally April 12 on the WIU campus. “The rally will generate interest and support for Springfield events.”

Illinois State University Coordinator Troy Simpson said at least one bus is scheduled to take students to Springfield. “Our problem is a lack of funds. We’re hoping more will be able to go.”

Simpson said every member of student organizations is encouraged to write to legislators. “We give a five to six minute presentation on what will happen to ISU students if a tax hike doesn’t go through. We expect to have a mass-mailing of about 2,000 letters.”

Simpson said there are plans for a Quad Rally where the ISU president will speak.

Cancelling classes at ISU, located in Normal, has been discussed but the faculty is divided on the issue, he said. “Most of my teachers have said I could go to Springfield—they’re pretty supportive.”

Simpson said he does not recommend blocking highways. About 100 NIU students blocked traffic for seven minutes on Lincoln Hwy. during the Oct. 21, 1987 Day of Action I. “We are trying to solve problems, not create them. I think students lose some credibility when they do things like that,” Simpson said.

Mike Reardon, chairman of the Student Advancement Committee at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, said the student government is sponsoring buses to Springfield for $5 donations. He said faculty members also are donating for the buses.

Reardon said EIU is focusing on Springfield. “Campus rallies are good for publicity, but they won’t have the effect that talking with legislators will.” So far there has not been an official cancellation of classes, Reardon said.

Heidi Lisner, coordinator at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, said there will be no campus rallies. “We expect about 300 to 350 people to go to Springfield. We’re asking the chairman of the political science department to give students extra credit for going.” She said students received credit for attending the Day of Action I.

Lisner said classes will not be cancelled at SIU. “Students are here for education and cancelling classes would undermine education.” She said blocking a highway is a good idea but not for SIU.

“It’s too dangerous here, because we would have terrible conflicts with police. I don’t want anyone to be injured, and I don’t want the Illinois Student Association’s name involved if there are injuries.”