English dept. will present job workshop

By Katrina Kelly

NIU’s English department will present a three-part program on employment opportunities Wednesday.

Gerald Berkowitz, English department careers adviser, said Wednesday’s programs are applicable to all students, not just English majors.

“There is virtually no job that an English major or a liberal arts and sciences major can’t get,” Berkowitz said. He said careers in the “larger business realm,” such as insurance and marketing, are real possibilities for English majors.

He said English majors possess skills that can complement careers in many different fields, because of their training in writing, communication and research.

Berkowitz will speak from 1 to 3 p.m. about the range of career opportunities for English majors beyond teaching.

Four NIU graduates will bring students “reports from the field” about careers for English majors in advertising, public relations, law and insurance. This session is scheduled from 3 to 5 p.m.

Ellen Anderson, a counselor at NIU’s Career Planning and Placement Center, will conduct a workshop on organizing a job search from 6 to 8 p.m.

All three sessions will be held in Reavis Hall, Room 211.

Anderson said she will discuss resume writing and interviewing techniques and inform students about identifying employers who can use their skills.

“English majors sometimes don’t realize they can do other things besides teach,” Anderson said. She said employers look for people with good communication skills and students should try to market their skills as they put together a job search.

“There are no limits to what (English majors) can do,” Anderson said.

Berkowitz said Anderson’s workshop will outline the “methodology” of planning and carrying out a job hunt. “Instead of just sending out resumes to firms, there is a way for students to focus and sell themselves,” he said.

James Miller, English department undergraduate director, said there are between 400 and 500 students majoring in English and 200 to 250 English minors.