Greeks seek budget raise

By Dina Paluzzi and Sandi Patyk

The Student Association Finance Committee Saturday recommended doubling last year’s budget for the Interfraternity Council/Panhellenic, the governing bodies for campus fraternities and sororities.

The Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic presented their budgets to the committee together. The $3,260 budget is double last year’s budget. Former IFC Treasurer Kelly Ward said the figure doubled because of rush brochures. “We are sending out brochures to all incoming freshmen to get them acquainted with the greek system,” Ward said.

Finance committee member Thomas Gary recommended funding IFC/Panhel for classified advertisements instead of $131 for display ads. Classifieds cost less than displays. “The committee’s policy is to fund for classifieds,” he said.

Gary’s motion failed. Panhel President Lynne Alig said classifieds are ineffective because people not involved in the greek system do not know to look at the classifieds for rush information.

A combined budget of about $228,635 for the Campus Activities Board and Fine Arts also was approved by the committee.

CAB, which oversees concerts, festivals, films, speakers and other programming events, received about $165,891.

The concert division of CAB’s budget was allocated more than $41,940 after subtracting $120,000 in revenue. The request includes rental of the Chick Evans Fieldhouse and the Egyptian Theater, security and hospitality.

The special events section of the budget received $14,337. Funding for Comedy Week and Parent’s Day come from the special events section of the budget. Parent’s Day formerly was funded by the NIU Alumnae Foundation, CAB members said.

The combined budget for Cine club was $12,124. The committee reduced the cost request for Cine club movies 25 percent. CAB requested $10,000 for 56 foreign and American films, but the committee allocated $7,500 for the films. The commitee said CAB could purchase any number of films with the money given.

Funds for the Student Association Art Collection were approved at $4,274. Restoration funding for artwork was approved at $900. CAB requested $1250.

CAB received $29,724 for eight speakers presented by CAB. Originally CAB requested funding for 10 speakers, but the committee decided four speakers per semester was adequate.

Funding of $16,129 was approved for 20 speakers. Although other groups on campus present the speakers, the cost of the presentations come from the CAB budget.

The travel account, which asks for funding for student trips to Chicago and Wisconsin, was funded at $3,724. The account provides for nine trips to Chicago and two trips to Wisconsin.

The budget for Homecoming was approved at $4,247. A request for $75 for recognition gifts for Homecoming royalty was zero funded by the committee. The committee funded the gifts last year, which were supposed to be one-time allotments for royalty crowns. The crowns were to be used yearly.