SA Finance Committee approves 2

By Sandi Patyk

The Student Association Finance Committee approved two budgets totaling about $9,500 Wednesday and recommended to zero fund a third organization.

The budgets must obtain final approval from the SA Senate.

The Black Student Union budget, scheduled for review Wednesday night, was postponed until Feb. 10. The finance committee voted to table the budget because problems arose with the subcommittee assigned to review the BSU budget in detail.

Subcommittee member Roger Beith resigned at the end of the fall semester, said BSU President Pam Bozeman. The other subcommittee member, Thomas Gary, did not have sufficient time to review the budget with her.

Bozeman said she would like to act as her own representative at the meeting. “Although Thomas and I did go over the budget somewhat, I feel I know it best.”

Committee member Brian Kean made a motion to table the BSU’s estimated $15,000 budget, saying he would rather give Gary and Bozeman time to review the requests thoroughly.

The finance committee approved Music Performance Activities’ request for more than $9,400. Activities President Tom Link said the main function of his group is organizing concerts for students by NIU ensembles.

The group was allocated $1,200 for sheet music rental. “Music publishers no longer sell sheet music that isn’t in the public domain. If a group doesn’t have the music for a particular piece, we have to rent it,” Link said.

More than $1,400 was requested by activities for the printing of concert programs and fliers.

The finance committee recommended giving the Visual Communication Committee $84.

The committee requested $260 to “take a large group to Chicago for a nationwide design show,” said a group spokeswoman. The finance committee reduced the amount to $33 because the SA only funds for four people to attend out-of-town events.

The finance committee recommended to zero fund the Advertising Club. Committee member and SA Sen. Dave Stern said, “I’m not convinced the club isn’t pre-professional.”

The SA does not fund pre-professional organizations unless they make a significant contribution to the student population, the SA bylaws and constitution state.

Todd Lipscomb, SA treasurer and finance committee chairman, said the intent of a pre-professional organization is to help students with their careers.

Advertising Club President Karen Schill said, “We are open to all majors. Currently we have journalism, sociology, art, business and communications students.”

She said the club would serve students by doing an advertising campaign for University Food Service this semester. The club is doing the work for free.

The committee debated on the definition of a pre-professional organization. “Every club could be considered pre-professional. We have to weigh whether the club does enough good for the university and students,” one committee member said.