Univs. meet to protest

By Bitrus Gwamna

Faculty, staff and students from universities statewide will hold a press conference today at the Illinois Capitol in Springfield to protest the effects of budget cuts to higher education.

The news conference, a “State of the State Address,” is sponsored by the Invest in the Future coalition.

Marianne Schwartz, a spokeswoman for the coalition, said the conference is necessary because Gov. James Thompson and his officials have not given adequate emphasis to the serious problems facing public institutions of higher education in their dealings with the people of Illinois.

As a result of the underfunding of higher education, “students have had some of their classes canceled, part-time and temporary faculty have been relieved of their jobs, while other faculty are finding it increasingly difficult to meet their career objectives.” she said.

“Salaries of staff in our universities and colleges are 4 percent lower than those in comparable institutions across the country, and faculty are considering leaving the system,” she said.

Those expected to attend the conference include Mitch Vogel, UPI and Universities Council president, and faculty members from the University of Illinois and Southern Illinois University.

Illinois Student Association President David Starrett and a representative from the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees also will attend the conference, along with Student Regent Brian Hopkins from Sangamon State University who will represent student members of the Board of Regents.

“We hope by this news conference to achieve public recognition of the problems facing higher education in the state. We hope to convice the people of the state of the need for a tax increase during the spring legislative session with all of it going to higher education and other public institutions,” Schwartz said.

Jim Fischer, NIU SA president, will not attend the conference. However, he said it will draw attention to the problems of Illinois higher education institutions.

The Invest in the Future coalition plans to circulate petitions to tax-paying individuals. The coalition also will rally on April 13 to re-emphasize the need for increased funding to higher education.

The coalition is comprised of the University Professionals of Illinois, Illinois Federation of Teachers Universities Council, AFSCME and the ISA.