Night to promote business college

By Katrina Kelly

Students interested in applying to the College of Business this fall can talk to senior students and faculty about business classes and careers at the Sophomore Major-Career Choice Night Tuesday at the Holmes Student Center.

Students can learn about career opportunities from the chairmen of the college’s six departments and 30 senior students majoring in all areas of business.

Bonnie Ward, College of Business secretary, said the program is open to not only sophomores, but all students interested in applying to the college. The event is aimed at helping students decide on a specific department within the business college, she said.

Ward said students will receive an information packet outlining the required courses for each department, including accounting, administration, finance, management, marketing and business systems and analysis.

Tim Beno, one of the senior students involved in the Career Choice Night, said, “This is a chance for future business students to view the different departments from a student’s point of view.”

Beno said the evening will begin with an overview from the department chairmen, and then the students take part in three small group discussion sessions led by the seniors.

“This format is refreshing because the advice is going student-to-student,” Wilma Stricklin, associate dean of the College of Business, said. She said they are expecting a turnout of 650 to 700 students.

“I think students would rather hear from other students,” Stricklin said.

Wendy Werts, another student presenter, said the event will unable students “to get to know professors and students.

Ward said about 4,000 students are accepted yearly as pre-business majors, and about 2,000 are admitted to the College of Business their junior year.

The deadline for submitting an application for fall 1988 admission to the College of Business is March 1.

The Career Choice program will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the student center’s Sandburg Auditorium.