Panel eyes SA’s parking proposal

By Sandi Patyk

The Ad Hoc Administrative Parking Committee reviewed Monday a parking proposal to change designated parking lot users.

Henry Winsor, the student appointee to the administrative committee, said the parking estimations of the Student Association’s proposal “make the most sense. The ratios (of people looking for spaces to space available) provided by this proposal appear to satisfy the concerns for all participants in the parking system.”

The SA proposal recommends eliminating most brown permit lots and changing them to yellow or yellow/orange.

Brown permits are given to students who live within the bus zone. Yellow permits are given to commuter students, and orange permits are given to students living in residence halls.

“There’s enough parking on campus for everyone. It just needs to be apportioned correctly,” Winsor said.

The SA proposal would change seven lots. Lot A, east of Anderson Hall, would be changed from brown to yellow. Lot V, east of Anderson Hall, would go from brown/orange to yellow/orange. Lot O, north of University Apartments, would change from brown to yellow/orange.

Lot G, located north of the Student Recreation Center, would be changed from yellow/orange to yellow. Lot H, north of the Northern Television Center, Lot M, south of the television center, and street parking all would change from brown to yellow permits.

Campus Parking Manager Lynn Fraser said she had a problem with changing Lot G to commuter parking. “Students who live in Lincoln Hall could look outside in the afternoon and see an empty parking lot, and they’d want to know why they can’t park there.”

Winsor said part of Lot G could be designated as resident parking, but it “should be looked into after the fact. We are locked into a physical structure, so some people are going to have to walk (to a lot).”

Students living in the bus zone would be allowed to park on the main campus only after 4 p.m., the SA proposal states.

The administrative committee was appointed last spring by NIU President John LaTourette. Chairman Bill Parker said the committee is gathering data to provide LaTourette with a comprehensive parking plan.

The committee has heard suggestions from campus groups concerned with the parking situaton. Representatives from Neptune Hall spoke at the Jan. 25 meeting against plans to change Lot D, west of Neptune, from student to faculty parking.

The residents expressed concern about Neptune’s handicapped students who rely on finding spaces in Lot D. Fraser said the committee would make provisions for handicapped students and faculty.