Drive plans to promote voting

By Sandi Patyk

The Student Association this week will encourage students to register to vote in DeKalb County.

The SA has begun a voter registration drive this week so students “will be able to voice their opinions,” SA Sen. Joe Annunzio said.

Primary elections will be March 15 during NIU’s spring break.

Tables will be set up from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in DuSable Hall and the Pow Wow Room.

“DeKalb Mayor Greg Sparrow will be at the Pow Wow (today) from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. to answer questions students have about registering. He’ll be able to explain why it is important for students to register in DeKalb County instead of where they live at home,” Annunzio said.

Students must bring their drivers’ licenses and student identification cards to register. To file an address change, students must bring their old registration cards.

Annunzio said First Ward Alderman Chris Hoagland is organizing houses on Greek Row, and SA Sen. Michael Cassman is working in the residence halls.

Hoagland said she is going to all the fraternity and sorority houses to make sure students are registered correctly. She said Greek Row has a problem with registration because of frequent address changes.

Hoagland said, “Students should register in DeKalb County because we have a large potential base for voting. Those we elect will be more willing to listen to students’ concerns and issues.”

Cassman said he will have registration tables in Neptune Hall in front of the Trident Snack Bar. The tables will be open on Tuesday from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Thursday from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Annunzio said students can register to vote in the SA office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.