Lab to open Thurs. if locks are installed

By Sylvia Phillips

Students studying foreign languages can use the Foreign Language Learning Center Thursday if locks to secure the newly-added electronic equipment are installed.

The center was closed during semester break to protect the equipment and has not reopened for use.

“The reason we are closed is we have installed all sorts of new audio-visual and computer equipment, and we’re waiting until it is secured,” said Marilyn Skinner, chairwoman of the department of foreign languages and literature.

During fall semester, the center was remodeled to accommodate a multi-media room, with state-of-the-art equipment. The area also houses study and leisure areas, a computer section and an audio-laboratory, said D. Raymond Tourville, foreign language residence program coordinator.

The center provides video booths, where students can view satellite programs and European or American videos. Some study areas are provided with cassette recorders and headphones. The area has 12 computers, including four with machine-translation capabilities, Tourville said.

About 20 computer lock systems arrived Monday and will be installed today, said Peter Bradley, head of technical services for the media department.

The locks were ordered the first week of January, but the vendor had to send away for the parts, Skinner said.

Because of the limited storage facilities and the delicate nature of the equipment, the foreign languages department decided to close the center rather than remove the equipment during break, Skinner said.

A theft attempt might have been made in November. Rosaura Young, director of the language center, noticed several cassette recorders had been unbolted but not removed from their study areas. Young said the staff monitors the room continually and circulates throughout the area every 10 minutes.

“Professors simply can’t give assignments (that use the center) until we’re open for business,” Skinner said.

Young, who is also a Spanish instructor at NIU, said, “It’s a problem, but we have to adjust to this for the moment. We use other means for (teaching foreign languages to) students. We verbally review more in class.”

NIU student Dora Elizondo, an assistant at the center, said, “Some students are getting a little upset, because they’re getting behind.”

However, NIU student Catherine Malloy said, “It’s not really a problem because we work on it (developing language skills) in class.”