Build Illinois funds fueling six projects

By Matt James

More than $1,000,000 in Build Illinois funds granted to NIU is being put to use on six major projects here.

Conrad Miller, project manager for NIU’s physical plant, said although construction on certain projects has not been seen on campus yet, the projects totaling $1,413,800 have been started “on paper.”

One of the six major projects to be completed with more than $490,000 of the Build Illinois funding is restoration of the roofs on Davis and Adams Halls and a portion of Gabel Hall’s roof.

“The flat roofs on some campus buildings and weather conditions have resulted in limited water damage inside buildings. The roofs are in bad shape. They definitely need replacement,” Miller said.

Miller said the roof reconstruction would begin some time in June.

Work on the health center’s roof is scheduled, but is on hold, he said.

About $275,000 has been set aside for rehabilitation of the east heating plant and upgrading one of two deaerators, machines that prepare water to enter boilers in the plant.

“All the water for the campus goes through one of the two deaerators. If you don’t spend the money for the deaerator, much more money will have to be spent later to replace boiler tubes. It’s a form of preventative maintenance,” Miller said.

About $303,500 has been allocated to rehabilitate three biology labs and create three new labs in Montgomery Hall.

Miller said the labs need more lighting and equipment, and work islands in the labs need to be raised.

About $223,700 has been set aside to rehabilitate both the Still Gym and Still Hall to accommodate art classes which will be conducted there.

Beautification of the Wirtz quadrangle between Wirtz Hall, the health center, the east heating plant and Lucinda Ave. will make use of $79,300 of the funds, Miller said.

Miller said antoher $80,000 is needed to complete the project, but funds have not been located yet. No starting date has been set for the project.

“Students’ minds are on classes. The awkward mixture of pedestrian and vehicular traffic make safety a big concern. We have to take into consideration the pedestrian traffic,” he said.

About $40,000 of the funding will be used to landscape King Memorial Commons, Miller said. The commons is the area confined by Founder’s Memorial Library, the Holmes Student Center, Swen Parson Hall and a closed section of Carroll Ave.