NIU alumnus accuses CHANCE

By Katrina Kelly

A member of the NIU Black Alumni Association accused the NIU CHANCE program of discriminating against CHANCE freshmen by requiring them to sign contracts banning them from participation in greek activities.

Rodney Robinson, a 1981 NIU graduate and a project manager for the United Negro College Fund, sent a letter last week to CHANCE Director Leroy Mitchell requesting a reversal of these contracts.

“You cannot ban students from joining any organizations,” Robinson said. “The university could be sued for discrimination and for violating the constitution of the United States.”

The CHANCE program enables minority students to gain admission to NIU if their academic work is below university requirements. Mitchell sent letters last November to CHANCE freshman stating they were not allowed to participate in any greek activities, including little sister programs and sweetheart courts, until they completed 30 semester hours of studies.

Mitchell stated in the letters CHANCE students should focus entirely on academics.

Mitchell said he had no comment on the contracts, letters or accusations.

Robinson first learned of these contracts while planning the February Kappa Alpha Psi Annual Sweetheart Ball. He said the contracts will have both short and long term effects on NIU’s black enrollment.

“This (the contract agreement) is not a valid answer—it will not help blacks. They will just find something else to do (instead of participating in greek activities),” he said. “Or they may find it (school) boring and withdraw.”

Robinson said a wider effect of the CHANCE policy might be a lower minority enrollment. “It will deter a lot of young blacks from attending NIU,” he said.

Robinson plans to meet with Mitchell to review the CHANCE contracts.

Student Association Minority Relations Adviser Larry Robertson said the policy was implemented to make sure CHANCE students concentrate on studying during their freshman year.

“Once they get here and establish themselves, then it’s fine for them to get involved in other activities. But these are students who would not be here if it weren’t for the CHANCE program,” Robertson said.

He added that he approved of the policy when he entered NIU through the CHANCE program. “I felt if that was the sacrifice I would have to make, I would be willing to do it,” he said.