SA meets to kick off budgeting

By Sandi Patyk

The Student Association Finance Committee will meet tonight to begin budgeting for Fiscal Year 1988-89.

Committee Chairman Todd Lipscomb, also the SA treasurer, said budgets from the SA Recycling Center, the Gay/Lesbian Union, BROTHERS and the Northern Illinois Communicating Artists will be reviewed.

The four organizations have requested a total of about $30,000. Nearly $680,000 will be allocated for FY89. The organizations which receive the most funding are the Campus Activities Board and the Office of Campus Recreation.

Sixteen SA-recognized organizations who want funding for next year submitted budget requests to the finance committee last fall. Subcommittees reviewed specific requests and will give their recommendations to the entire committee.

The finance committee will make final recommendations after the subcommittees give their reports. The SA Senate reviews the budget recommendations, and the senate makes the final decision, Lipscomb said.

The Advertising Club, Southeast Asia Club, Music Performance Activities and the Black Student Union are scheduled for review on Feb. 3. The OCR and Club Sports will be reviewed Feb. 6.

The Feb. 10 agenda includes NIMSA, the Chess Club, Health Enhancement Services, and the Interfraternity and Panhellenic Councils. CAB will be reviewed Feb. 13.

The Towers literary magazine is one of the organizations which will be reviewed on Feb. 17.