Prof. alters course to protest cuts

By Sean Noble

An NIU political science professor said he is teaching the “economy version” of a course to protest the Illinois state legislature’s failure to provide university faculty with pay increases this year.

In the syllabus of his Political Science 385 class, “International Politics: Stability and Change,” Lawrence Finkelstein said he would be changing the normal class requirements in response to recent higher education budget cuts.

“The State of Illinois does not value excellence in its public higher education, judging by what it is willing to pay for. The instructor is not inspired to volunteer more than what is basically required,” the syllabus stated.

His syllabus continued by stating he will not assign term papers in the class, although he normally would require two in a 300-level course. Finkelstein also said he will not include essay questions on class exams as he ordinarily would.

Finkelstein has taught at NIU since 1973. He said he is teaching an undergraduate seminar this semester in addition to POLS 385.

He said, “As everyone knows, the state this year didn’t budget any increases for the university, including faculty wages.

“The university runs on a volunteered effort by the faculty. I think we need to communicate to the outside world what teachers do.” Finkelstein said he believes his condensed “economy version” of POLS 385 could be an effective way of communicating this.

There are no standard requirements for undergraduate classes at NIU, he said. “I always do volunteer more effort and it takes a lot of time.”

Finkelstein said there are 50 students in his class.

“If a class has 50 students and two papers are assigned, that’s 100 papers times 20 minutes to grade each,” he said.

Finkelstein said his course “is cheating the students and it’s a conflict for me. But if students’ parents, who are citizens of Illinois, want to change things they will do it.”

None of Finkelstein’s students have complained of the changes, he said. He said one student did ask for independent study in the course, but Finkelstein refused. Another student told him she understood his motives for the shortened class expectations and sympathized with him.

Finkelstein said he sent copies of his syllabus to NIU President John LaTourette, University Provost Kendall Baker, and Political Science Department Chairman Clark Neher.

LaTourette said he did not wish to comment on the matter and that Baker would have more information.

Baker said, “I did receive a copy of the syllabus and I have written back to him (Finkelstein).” Baker said he would not comment until Finkelstein receives his reply.

“I am extremely disappointed that the state did not allocate more money to the universities last year. I feel that this could be an important year for funding,” Baker said.

He said the Illinois Bord of Higher Education has recommended a budget to Gov. James Thompson asking for a 10 percent pay raise for state university faculty. However, Baker said such an increase would require a state tax increase.

Neher was not available for comment.