ROTC recognizes top‘ students

By Sean Noble

NIU’s Military Science department recognized a group of outstanding students Tuesday at the Army ROTC awards ceremony.

Military Science Professor Maj. David Loebach said, “Our awards ceremony is important, so pat yourselves on the back. A lot of the things we do become repetition and we often take for granted the work we do.”

About 80 students attended the ceremony in the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

Many students were singled out for honors in the presentation of about 30 awards and recognitions.

Eight students were awarded the Distinguished Military Student Badge, which Cadet Capt. Mike Blazier called “one of the most important (ROTC) awards.”

DMS Badge criteria are placement in the top half of the student’s academic class and the top third of their military science class, as well as leadership qualities, initiative and moral character.

The Ranger Challenger Award was given to 11 students who participated in a meet with 12 other Illinois schools. Army Capt. Keith Wettig called this meet the “varsity sport of military science,” because it involved such activities as patrolling and a road march.

Loebach said, “I think it’s impressive that we got far more than our (usual) allotment for Advanced Camp awards this year. We usually have two or three students in the top 10 percent, but now we have five.”

Cadet Maj. David Touzinsky, a second-year ROTC member, said many scholarship winners were given recognition at the ceremony. Federal ROTC scholarships cover tuition, books, fees and a $100 per month subsistence stipend. State scholarships pay for tuition only.

Former NIU associate provost Lida Barret, now the liberal arts and sciences dean at Mississippi State University, was honored with the Commander’s Award for Public Service by the ROTC. Loebach said Barret was instrumental in developing the military science minor program at NIU.