Local stores prepare for Christmas rush

By Katrina Kelly

While most students’ minds are filled with visions of grades and finals this week, local businesses are stocking their shelves in aniticipation of the Christmas gift-giving rush.

“Christmas boxer shorts are a new item this year,” Nora Beck, assistant manager of the Holmes Student Center Bookstore, said. “I am amazed at the popularity of boxer shorts. They are not just for Dad or Grandpa anymore,” she said.

Printed with reindeer, Christmas trees or Santas, the shorts sell for $11.95.

Beck said stuffed animals such as teddy bears and Garfield the Cat are perennial favorites. Most plush animals in the HSC bookstore range in price from $3 o $20.

Other items that are selling well are mugs with Christmas sayings, candles and tins for holding candy, Beck said.

Wooden animals carved from cedar logs are a unique item at Glidden Campus Florist, 917 W. Lincoln Hwy. Manager Oscar Hansen said many different animals are avialable, including reinder and horses. Made in Wisconsin, the animals range in price from $15 to 30$.

Brass items, including figurines and candlesticks, are a popular item his season, Hansen said. Glidden Campus Florist also sells center pieces and holiday arrangements. Most are prices between $15 and $20.

ot pots with holiday scents are good gift idea for students. The Wood Shoppe, 321 W. State St., Sycamore, sells the pots, which come in ten scents including bayberry, pine and “Sant’s Kitchen.” the pots come with cadles and sell for $9.25.

“Music Boxes seem to be a popular item with young people,” Ev Clapsaddle, an employee of the Wood Shoppe, said. The store stocks music boxes with a variety of songs, including “Memory” from the musical “Cats.”

Connie Scott, owner of Cottage Interiors, Inc., 224 N. Second St., said, “Antiques are a personal item that people seem to enjoy giving.” She also said accent rugs, picture frames and framed artwork are big sellers this year.

Village Commons Bookstore Manager Richard Boardman said, “Sweatshirts often are given as gifts.” Small gifts and stocking stuffers often are bought by students as gifts from “secret Santas.”

Melody Michaelis, manager of Little Ben’s Toy Shoppe, 327 W. State St., Sycamore, said, “This seems to be a board game year.” Pictionary, a game similiar to the television game show “Win, Lose, or Draw”, is a said another popular item is a Venus Fly Trap that kids can feed.