DeKalb offers holiday spirit to escape final exam worry

By Lynn Hammerstrom

Anyone looking for Christmas spirit during these few final days of frantic exam worries can choose from holiday events throughout the DeKalb area.

Friday evening at 7:30 the volunteers of Preservation of the Egyptian Theater will sponser the 8th Annual Community Paticipation “Messiah”.

The free event will feature conductor Elwood Smith and members of the Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra leading members of the university and DeKalb community in the Christmas portion of Handel’s “Messiah”.

“Anyone can come and sing” said Egyptian volunteer Barb Kummerfeldt. “We often have 250 to 300 people participate. Those who want to sing just have to bring their own music; then they will be divided into soprano, alto, baritone and bass sections.”

Friday also will premiere the Campus Acitivietes Board sponsored film “The Christmas Story,” in the Sandburg Auditorium, CAB member Evan Tiech said. “The film is about a little kid who wants a Red Rider BB-gun for Chistmas more than anything else. It’s a comedy and it’s rated PG, so it’s a good movie for Christmas,” he said.

“The Christmas Story” will be screened December 11 and 13 at 7, 7, and 10 p.m. Admission is $1.

Thse who missed out on having their picture taken with Santa when they were kids can have it taken next week in th Promenade Lounge (across from the information desk in the Holmes Student Center) as Santa and two of his elves pose for phots with students. “Pictures with Santa” is also a CAB sponsored event.

The 27 year-old DeKalb/Sycamore Children’s Community Theater will sponsor “Merry Cranberry,” a family oriented Christmas play featuring the conjurings of Chicago-based magician Danny Orleans this Sundy at 2 p.m.

Tickets for the performance are $3 for adults and $2 for children under 12.

Those searching for one-of-a-kind Christmas gifts can browse through the NIU art department’s annual “Deflation Sale.” The sale, which takes place in Gallery 200 of the art building from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. December 10-12, features the works of NIU art students and professors.